Worried About A Child Traveling Overseas? These 3 Things Will Calm Your Fears

small__3074128353So you’ve just found out that your son or daughter is going to spend next semester studying abroad. How exciting! And pretty much immediately I bet the excitement wore off and you started to worry. Though your kids are technically adults and living out of the house, it’s likely you’ll spend the rest of your life worrying about them. I’ve heard that’s normal, and I can’t stop worrying about my own college-aged kids, so I assume that just comes as part of the job of being a mom.

One way you can protect your kids while they aren’t under your roof is to prepare them for the months they will be in a different country by doing these three things:


Fear is almost always brought on by what isn’t fully understood. Diminish your fear of the unknown by researching the place your child will be studying until you feel like you’ve been there yourself. Look into possible safety threats, bad neighborhoods, and cultural norms. Did you know that hand gestures that we find innocent and friendly, like the thumbs up, are actually quite offensive in some countries? It’s those cultural norms, specific to the region they will be traveling to, that your child will benefit from most.

Travel Insurance.

Travel insurance is essential if you’re going to be overseas for an extended period of time. At some point, no matter how healthy the individual, it’s likely the traveler is going to need medical attention. Regular insurance will cover you in the event of an emergency, but it’s very difficult to get a claim paid in a timely manner. Travel insurance is great for when your student needs minor medical attention. However, if a more serious condition or injury arises, the insurance will also cover an emergency evacuation.


Some countries have food borne diseases, parasites that can be transmitted by bugs, and diseases that we just don’t have here in the U.S. Vaccinations are readily available to help keep your child safe while studying and living abroad. In fact, some regions even require a yellow fever vaccination in order to enter the country.

International Travel Care is a travel clinic that can help you with all three safety measures mentioned above. We’ve done the research to ensure you know everything you need to know to stay safe, no matter where you’re traveling. We can help you find a travel insurance policy that will work for you. And as a clinic, we can consult with you on which vaccinations you need and administer them during your same visit. Contact us today so we can be your one stop shop in keeping your child safe while studying abroad! Follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn to stay connected and get our weekly blog updates!

Be Sociable, Share!

Speak Your Mind